Saturday 28 January 2012

Easy stressfree cooking

Some friends of ours visited us yesterday from Brisbane. It was lovely to see them. They decided to come fly here for a visit on the spur of the moment.  Which is what life is all about.

I cooked dinner last night for all of.  I cooked a Beef curry, a sliced cabbage dish with dried shrimps and pototes with chillie and onion.  I cooked the whole meal from start to finish in roughly 45 minutes. 

It is not a hard thing to do.  But my friend was amazed that I was not stressed.  I think a key to that is, that I have my pantry and larder all organised and I know that I can put my hand on whatever I need instantly. 

I also never follow recipes.  I put a little of this and a little of that and therefore, my dishes are always different, not by intent but thats the way I cook.

I find it hard therefore, to write recipes for the classes, and sit there very carefully measuring ingredients before I write a recipe.

But basically, it doesn't matter what a recipe says, if you think you need to add something else, add a little bit of soy sauce, or little bit of vinegar or whatever takes your fancy and you think the curry/dish needs you should go for it. If it doesn't work, you know not to do it again. But experimenting is important.


I teach some dishs that are quick and easy, and that the whole meal and come together in less than an hour. 

I would love to hear what you have done !

No comments: