Monday 6 February 2012

Chicken Giblets

I had promised my son to cook him Chicken Giblets long before we moved to Tasmania.  We visited Brisbane last week and he called his promise.  So, I thought I would share the recipe with you.

Sri Lankans do eat offal, personally, I have only eaten, liver, brains and giblets.  I am fond of chicken and calf liver and also giblets but am happy to leave brains for someone else !

Here is the recipe

Chicken Giblets

1kg chicken giblets, washed & cleaned
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 salt
 1 punnet of grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half- I use these because I like the taste, but any tomato will do
1 Red salad onion sliced - I cut them into circles
1-2 lemons - juice
Oil - similar to peanut

Once the giblets have been washed, add the tumeric and salt, cover and put in fridge at least for 1 hour.

Heat the oil and deep fry the giblets until they are practically crisp. I use peanut oil because it can get to a high temperature.  Fry small batches of giblets and drain on paper towel.

Once giblets are all fried, add all the other ingredients and mix well.

PS: last week I used vegetable oil because someone was allergic to peanuts. It takes a little longer to get to a high temperature but it worked.

I was able to get a picture of it just before the last of it vanished ! Here it is


No comments: