Sunday 28 July 2013

Gluten Free Craisy-Nut Bars






Since of late I seemed to have joined the band of gluten intolerant folk.  Not really sure how that happened, but all of a sudden I found that I was getting cramps when I ate wheat or a wheat source.  Pretty sad, one would say, but really it is not too bad.  You just have to work a bit harder to find things to eat.

Since I love cooking it has become quite a project for me to keep looking for such recipes and try them out. Some really are not worth trying again but this one certainly is a keeper.

Again, I can't remember where I found this recipe, but as I said I do have an 'issue' with collecting recipes.

It is 'supposed' to make 20 bars. Mine didn't look anything like bars, nor did I get 20 bars.  The taste was really good. I didn't have Craisins in my pantry so I substituted it for sultanas. I didn't use the Agave syrup because I think it too sweet, but used another 1/3 cup of coconut sugar syrup because I was worried it wouldn't bind.  Coconut palm sugar is available at any Sri Lankan grocer.

Ingredients
2 cups Organic Quinoa Flakes
1/3 cup Shredded Coconut
3 x teaspoons Almond Meal
1/3 cup Coconut Sugar
2 x dessertspoons Organic Sesame Seeds
1 x dessertspoon Black Chia Seeds
2 x large Egg Whites
1/3 cup Dry Roasted Peanuts, chopped
1/3 cup Craisins, chopped
1/4 cup Organic Dark Agave Syrup
3 x teaspoons Vanilla Extract (optional)
2 x tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
1 x heaped tablespoon Natural Peanut Butter
1/2-1tsp Ground Cinnamon

Method

Preheat oven to 150' and prepare your oven tray (either a lightly greased tray using cooking spray or alternativley, use a tray lined with baking paper)

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and stir. Add wet ingredients and mix well using a wooden spoon. Spoon mixture (approx 30gm per bar) and using your hands, shape in to a small bar shape and place on oven tray. Continue to shape the rest of the mixture into bars. Place the tray in to oven and bake for 25-30mins. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy! Store in an airtight container.

Makes 20 bars.


Would love to hear what you think of them. :)

No comments: